Luxemburg


Luxemburg

Luxemburg in 27 historical maps

1571-2018

 

Item: e-Atlas
Edition: 1.0, 2019
Language: English
Pages: 98
Format: PDF
File size: 16 Mb 
Author: T-O-Maps

 

The  name Luxemburg (French: Luxembourg)  – for both the Country and its Capital City – comes from Celtic Lucilem (meaning “small” or “little”) and Germanic burg  (meaning “castle”).  Its origin goes back to 963, when Siegfried (of the House of Ardennes), the Abbot of St. Maximin at Trier, got the local castle into possession. From here the successive counts of Luxemburg extended their area. In the 16th/17th century, Luxemburg became a Principality of the Low Countries, and included the present Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, the current Belgian province of Luxembourg and a number of neighbouring areas in France  and Germany. The first separately printed maps of Luxemburg appeared at the end of the 16th century. Most of them were made by established cartographers from the Low Countries: e.g. Ortelius, Mercator and Blaeu.

 

 

5.40

Browse these categories as well: ALL, Europe