Russia in 42 historical maps
The name Russia, or Byzantine Greek Ro(s)sia, means "Land of the Rus" (or Ros). Most likely it is derived from the Old Norse word for "rower" (or seafarer). Its first usage dates back to the early middle ages. On earlier maps the (Latin) names Moscovia and Tartaria were used. Moscovia identifies the western (European) part and Tartaria the eastern or Asiatic part. On the Mappa Mundia of Cresques (1375) and Fra Mauro (1450) the name Rossia is used. The modern name Russia came into use in the 16th century. The first separately printed maps of Russia appeared in the 16th century. Most of the maps were focused on the European part (Moscovia). During the 17th century the coverage was extended to the east. Around the 15th century the city Moscow became the capital of Russia. Chronicles from the 12th century prove the presence of much older settlements. An inset map of Moscow was included in the Atlas Maior, published by the Blaeu family in 1662 onwards.